American Honda Sales Increase 9.0 Percent in May
6/3/2014 3:48:00 PM
- American Honda sets May record for light truck sales
- Honda Accord, Civic and CR-V each post double digit gains, together selling over 100k units
- Acura MDX shatters May record, lifts light trucks to best May in division history
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported May 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 152,603 units—an overall increase of 9.0 percent (5.0 percent based on the Daily Selling Rate, or DSR*) compared to May 2013, which showed a similar increase vs. the previous year. The Honda Division posted an increase of 9.8 percent with May sales of 137,928 units. Acura division gained 2.2 percent on May sales of 14,675, with light trucks increasing 32.9 percent for the month on sales of 10,301 units. Year-to-date American Honda sales reached 610,413 units.
On the heels of strong retail sales in the first four months of the year, Accord, Civic and CR-V each topped 30,000 units in brisk May business, combining for sales of more than 100,000 units. The Honda division was up 9.8 percent overall in May.
- Honda light trucks set a new May sales record, selling 57,835 units for a gain of 2.1 percent
- Accord, America's best-selling retail car in the first quarter of 2014, was up 19.3 percent in May with 39,637 units sold
- CR-V, the industry's most popular SUV, posted its best May sales ever with 32,430 units sold, an increase of 18.8%
- Civic also had a strong May, with sales up 19.2 percent to 36,089 units vs. May 2013
"With spring finally in full force across the country, Accord, Civic and CR-V are really starting to bloom," said Jeff Conrad, Honda division senior vice president and general manager. "With our three core models out-selling some entire brands and the all-new Fit starting to hit the ground next week, our dealers are preparing for heavy customer traffic in the coming months."
Hot-selling Acura light trucks continued their record-setting pace, combining to achieve the best May sales in division history. The MDX also posted its best May ever, topping sales of over 5900 for the month and up 115.6 percent for the year. After posting 24 consecutive months of record sales, the RDX netted May sales of 4,299 and gaining 3.8 percent for the year. Monthly sales of both the TL and TSX models reflect very tight supply with the anticipation of the launch of the all-new 2015 Acura TLX later this year.
- Total Acura division sales increased 2.2 percent over last year on sales of 14,675 units in May
- Acura trucks led the division with an increase of 32.9 percent on sales of 10,301 for a best-ever May performance
- MDX also posted its best May with sales up 115.6 percent on sales of 5,997 units
"Acura light trucks continue to exceed even our high expectations, with the MDX posting another record increase in May," said Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager. "As dealers and customers anxiously await the all-new TLX, it's great to see models like the ILX having one of its better months and drawing a new, younger customer to the Acura brand."
*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 27 days for May 2014 and 26 days for May 2013. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 128 days for 2014 and 127 days for 2013. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
# # #