Honda BF2: A Mini Powerhouse
2/17/2005 9:37:11 PM
A small and easy-to-handle package, Honda's BF2 engine is the lightest 4-stroke 2 hp outboard motor in the world. Weighing in at just 27 lbs. (12 kg), this low-maintenance, lightweight model delivers smooth, clean, quiet power for a variety of small freshwater vessels.
The BF2's design incorporates a number of the same features found on the BF5 engine, including its Shallow Water Drive, 4-Front Corrosion Protection System, Twist Grip Throttle, and Front Mount Carrying Handle. The BF2 also has a number of other technologically-advanced design elements, including:
- a Centrifugal Clutch maintains a smooth idle and automatically engages the prop above idle speed when the throttle is advanced; this feature is similar to having a neutral position in an automobile;
- a maintenance-free Transistor Ignition delivers high-energy output for quick and easy starts;
- the BF2's Forced-Air Cooling System eliminates the need for a water pump as well as the concern that the engine will become plugged with debris;
- 360o Swivel Steering provides superior maneuverability in tight areas, resulting in more reverse thrust;
- a Fold-Down Tiller Handle allows for easy transportation and storage;
- an Integral Fuel Tank facilitates easy removal and portability as one unit; the vent may be closed for transport or extended storage periods, and the engine runs up to 55 minutes at full throttle on a single tank of fuel;
- the Steering Friction Adjustment allows for the easy adjustment of steering tension, providing increased maneuverability.
"First and foremost, being on the water is about having fun," said Robin Senger, Honda Marine Marketing. "The Honda BF2 is indeed a mini-powerhouse, providing clean, quiet, reliable power - packing more fun into water sports."
Offered at $930 for the 15-inch shaft standard rotation model and $1,020 for the 20-inch standard rotation model, the BF2 exceeds 2006 EPA emissions standards as well as complies with the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3-Star ratings.
Honda Marine introduced the first full line of 4-stroke outboard engines in the United States, setting a new benchmark for ease of starting, quiet operation, and low emissions. Honda's outboards share the same DNA characterized by unparalleled durability, quality, and reliability that is behind its reputation for legendary automobiles. With models ranging from 2 to 225 horsepower, the company offers the most ultra-low emissions outboards in the industry as well as complies with the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3-Star ratings. All new Honda outboard engines for recreational use have a limited, 3-year warranty that is the same on the last day as it is on the first.