Honda BF5 And BF2: Big Performance In Small Packages
2/17/2005 4:21:20 PM
Honda BF5 Profile
The Honda 5 horsepower (hp) BF5 engine, weighing just 60 lbs. (27 kg), is lightweight, compact and outfitted with a front-mount carrying handle for easy transport. Its 127cc, 7.8 cubic in. engine features a water-cooled, single cylinder design for excellent low to mid-range power. The Digital CD Ignition delivers maintenance-free, high-energy output for quick and easy starts; the Twist Grip Throttle allows for precise throttle control; and the Throttle Tensioner minimizes driver fatigue.
A number of other features complete the BF5's unique design. A Low Oil Warning System protects the engine from severe damage if the oil reaches a low level, and an innovative Shallow-Water Drive feature allows the engine to be tilted in low water. The BF5's Full Swivel Bracket Design also enhances the model's overall durability, reducing vibration to the tiller handle.
In addition, the BF5 incorporates full Forward-Neutral-Drive (F-N-R) Shifting with neutral in-start protection as well as the patented 4-Front Corrosion Protection System. This double sealed multi-layered paint process serves to extend the life of all Honda outboard models. Finally, a crankshaft-driven, automotive-style Trochoid Oil Pump guarantees critical engine component long-term durability.
The Honda BF5 engine is available in both 20-inch and 15-inch shaft models. "The Honda BF5 engine is an exceptional all-around performer, both quiet and easy to operate," said Robin Senger, Honda Marine Marketing. It also exceeds 2006 EPA emissions standards as well as complies with the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3-Star ratings.
The Honda BF2: A Mini Powerhouse
A small and easy-to-handle package, Honda's BF2 engine is the lightest 4-stroke 2 hp outboard motor in the world. Weighing in at just 27 lbs (12 kg), this low-maintenance, lightweight model delivers smooth, clean, quiet power for a variety of small freshwater vessels.
Like the BF5 engine, the BF2's design incorporates a number of the same features, including its Shallow Water Drive, 4-Front Corrosion Protection System, Twist Grip Throttle, and Front Mount Carrying Handle. The BF2 also has a number of other technologically-advanced design elements, including:
- a Centrifugal Clutch maintains a smooth idle and automatically engages the prop above idle speed when the throttle is advanced; this feature is similar to having a neutral position in an automobile;
- maintenance-free Transistor Ignition delivers high-energy output for quick and easy starts;
- BF2's Forced-Air Cooling System eliminates the need for a water pump as well as the concern that the engine will become plugged with debris;
- 360Á Swivel Steering provides superior maneuverability in tight areas, resulting in more reverse thrust;
- Fold-Down Tiller Handle allows for easy transportation and storage;
- Integral Fuel Tank facilitates easy removal and portability as one unit; the vent may be closed for transport or extended storage periods, and the engine runs up to 55 minutes at full throttle on a single tank of fuel;
- Steering Friction Adjustment allows for the easy adjustment of steering tension, providing increased maneuverability.
"First and foremost, being on the water is about having fun," said Robin Senger, Honda Marine Marketing. "The Honda BF2 is indeed a mini-powerhouse, providing clean, quiet, reliable power - packing more fun into water sports."
The Honda BF2 engine is available in both 20-inch and 15-inch shaft models, and exceeds 2006 EPA emissions standards as well as complies with the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3-Star ratings.
Honda Marine introduced the first full line of 4-stroke outboard engines in the United States, setting a new benchmark for ease of starting, quiet operation, and low emissions. Honda's outboards share the same DNA characterized by unparalleled durability, quality, and reliability that is behind its reputation for legendary automobiles. With models ranging from 2 to 225 horsepower, the company offers the most ultra-low emissions outboards in the industry as well as complies with the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3-Star ratings. All new Honda outboard engines for recreational use have a limited, 3-year warranty that is the same on the last day as it is on the first.