Honda BF9.9 And BF8 Engines: Lightweight, Dependable Power
2/17/2005 4:20:03 PM
Both models are available with a number of technologically-advanced features that include: Easy, One-Hand Starting; PGM Ignition; Power Thrust Design; Reverse Exhaust Relief; Auto Start Enrichment; High Output Charging; Honda's exclusive Pendulum Mount System; Shallow Water Drive; Power Tilt and Integrated Carrying Handle. A closer look at these features illustrates the Honda advantages:
- Easy, One-Hand Starting utilizes a built-in decompression release and digital CD ignition for quick and easy pull starts;
- PGM Ignition features reliable microprocessor-controlled ignition timing during start-up and across the entire rpm range, which provides optimum overall operation;
- Power Thrust Design combines a lower, 2:33:1 gear ratio with the Power Thrust 4-blade propeller, producing more thrust in forward and reverse;
- with the Reverse Exhaust Relief, an additional exhaust outlet above the cavitation plate allows the prop to run in clean, exhaust-free water, producing more thrust;
- similar to fuel-injection, the microprocessor-controlled Auto-Start Enrichment System allows both engines to be started with the simple turn of a key, while automatically adjusting the air-fuel mixture for quick, easy starts and warm-ups and increased power and torque at any rpm;
- High Output Charging produces 6 amps at 1,000 rpm and 12 amps at 3,000 rpm, maintaining the battery charge and keeping electronics powered, even at trolling speeds;
- the Honda exclusive Pendulum Mount is a triangulated rubber mount system that absorbs vibration, providing smooth operation;
- a Shallow Water Drive greatly reduces the potential for engine damage while running in the shallows;
- Power Tilt conveniently tilts the engine out of the water for easy lift-off and transport;
- a convenient, Integrated Carrying Handle is located at the exact top/bottom balance point of the engine, making it easy to carry in a level position.
Both the Honda BF9.9 and BF8 engines are available in 25-inch, 20-inch and 15-inch shaft models. All new Honda outboard engines for recreational use have a limited, 3-year warranty that is the same on the last day as it is on the first.
Both engines have earned an ultra low 3-Star rating from the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Like all Honda engines, they exceed the 2006 EPA emissions standards.
Honda Marine introduced the first full line of 4-stroke outboard engines in the United States, setting a new benchmark for ease of starting, quiet operation, and low emissions. Honda's outboards share the same DNA characterized by unparalleled durability, quality, and reliability that is behind its reputation for legendary automobiles. With models ranging from 2 to 225 horsepower, the company offers the most ultra-low emissions outboards in the industry as well as complies with the California Air Resource Board (CARB) 3-Star ratings.