2005 Honda CRF450X Features
2/8/2005 12:53:09 AM
Honda's engineers began with the world's premier big-bore motocross machine, the CRF450R, and created a lightweight, super-powerful open-class four-stroke off-road racer--including electric starting!
Features & Benefits
- Electric start system for easy starting in all conditions.
- California model meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission standards.
- Gas tank capacity is 2.27 gallons.
- Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit odometer.
- USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester.
- Powerful new 35-watt halogen headlight features new lens type for wide range of illumination.
- Integrated LED taillight in rear fender.
- Convenient sidestand integrated into left footpeg bracket can be easily removed for competition events.
- Easy-access air filter.
- Wide-ratio five-speed transmission.
- Suspension and chassis tuned for competitive off-road riding needs
- 18-inch rear wheel for greater flat-tire protection.
- T-ring sealed chain is narrower, stronger and lighter compared to conventional O-ring chains.
- Skidplate and engine guards feature a unique three-piece design.
- Powerful four-stroke 449cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® engine is designed to produce power across a wide rpm band for off-road riding.
- Electric starter drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter gears, and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft.
- Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompressor system provides superb cold-starting and hot-starting operation.
- Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 71 pounds.
- Unicam valve train provides the light weight of a compact single-cam design and the optimum combustion chamber shape for maximum power at all engine rpm.
- Unicam valve train features a carburized single camshaft that directly actuates two 35mm titanium intake valves. The camshaft exhaust lobe actuates two 30mm steel exhaust valves via a forked, low-friction, roller rocker-arm.
- Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
- Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon steel with carburized main journals for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
- Clutch cover and cylinder head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
- Forged 12.0:1 compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes an updated big-end needle bearing and thrust washers for maximum high-rpm performance and durability.
- Nikasil® cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
- Press-fitted aluminum spark plug pipe fits between forked exhaust rocker arms, further contributing to compact cylinder head design.
- 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
- Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) that helps maintain linear throttle response throughout the rpm range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
- Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional design.
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless steel exhaust header and muffler equipped with spark arrester.
- Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared to conventional dual-radiator design. Coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame down-tubes for improved center of gravity. Coolant tank is protected by plastic skid plate.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine's massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
- T-ring-sealed chain is approximately 1.6mm narrower, and stronger compared to conventional chains.
- Durable and versatile five-speed wide-ratio transmission.
- All-new fourth-generation twin-spar aluminum frame. Forged aluminum steering head and tapered downtube section are designed to optimize frame rigidity. In addition, tall swingarm pivot plates and narrow frame spars create a narrow overall frame cross-section for superb rider comfort and maneuverability.
- Semi-double-cradle frame design features a single, large-diameter tapered downtube. Two rugged box-section rails attach to the base of the downtube and support the engine. A forged aluminum steering head provides a compact and extremely durable mount for the frame spars and engine downtube.
- The aluminum frame design is matched to rider ergonomics to maximize handling and control operation.
- Swingarm features a dual-axis, double-taper design with a large cast aluminum cross-member offering high strength and light weight.
- 18-inch rear wheel features same lightweight rear hub and HRC® works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples as used on CRF®450R.
- Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
- Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide optimum rigidity to withstand torturous off-road conditions.
- Lightweight, 47mm inverted Showa® twin-chamber cartridge fork with aluminum dampers is derived from the CRF450R and features settings unique to the CRF450X. The fork offers 12.4 inches of travel, 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability. The inner surface of the front fork outer-tubes receives the same honing treatment as works bikes for low-friction operation.
- Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension system features a fully adjustable Showa rear damper and 12.3 inches of wheel travel, separate low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns) compression damping adjusters, and 17-position rebound damping.
- Rear shock damper piston diameter is 50mm for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
- Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
- HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the need for a remote master cylinder reservoir and hose assembly.
- 240mm front and rear brake discs.
- All plastic body components (radiator shroud, side covers, rear fender, seat base, fuel tank, front fender, and front headlight) are designed for slimmer, more aggressive styling and light weight.
- Airbox features easy access to reusable foam air filter.
- Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider's legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
- Seat cushion uses foam construction that follows the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort.
- "Non-slip" seat cover for increased rider
- Rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.
- Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
- Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
- CR handlebar holders provide three different mounting positions: standard CRF450X holder (CRF450R/CR125R/CRF250R-type) provides +/- 3mm fore or aft position to match rider preference, and optional holder (CR250R-type) provides neutral position.
- Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
- Adjustable front brake lever.
- Hot-start lever conveniently located on clutch perch.
- Quick-adjust clutch perch.
- Chain guide material offers durable wear resistance, and service life is five times greater than conventional materials.
- Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
- Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
- Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
- Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
- Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance for off-road bike transport vehicle while motorcycle is being transported, one year complimentary subscription to Honda Red Rider™ magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com), access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.