2005 Honda Interceptor/Interceptor ABS Features
9/8/2004 2:16:00 PM
No other motorcycle comes close to offering all that the Interceptor delivers. For sportbike touring, the V-4 VTEC engine and superb chassis are simply in a class of one.
Features & Benefits
New for 2005
- Light Silver Metallic joins classic Honda Red.
- Revolutionary VTEC™ combines the power characteristics of both two-valve and four-valve cylinder head designs. The engine runs on two valves per cylinder below 7000 rpm and then switches to four valves per cylinder, delivering significantly stronger low-end and mid-range torque, while maintaining the Interceptor's impressive high-rpm power delivery.
- The 2005 Interceptor meets the California Air Resources Board (CARB) 2008 emissions standards.
- Silent-type cam-chain drive eliminates mechanical gear noise. The system features a set of dual tensioners that maintain optimal pressure and lubrication for the camshaft chains, ensuring quiet operation and long life.
- Programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) uses four laser-drilled 12-hole injectors, replacing the previous one-hole injector design, creating much finer fuel atomization for improved combustion efficiency, reduced emissions and increased power.
- Iridium-tip spark plugs are ignited by compact high-energy coil-on-plug spark plug caps that produce a strong, high-voltage spark.
- Unique NR™-style center-up exhaust system incorporates two stainless steel mufflers tucked snugly under the Interceptor's tail section.
- Clutch features an offset outside friction plate for quiet operation when starting from a stop.
- Three-phase coil-spring damper in the transmission smooths upshifts.
- Large-diameter, 43mm Honda Multi-Action System™ (HMAS™) cartridge front fork provides enhanced handling under all riding conditions.
- Four brilliant multi-reflector headlights employ two centrally positioned H4 low/high beams positioned under two widely spaced H7 high beams for brilliant nighttime illumination.
- 5.8-gallon fuel capacity.
- Compact, 781cc DOHC 90o V-4 with an oversquare bore and stroke of 72mm x 48mm.
- Combustion chambers feature an 11.6:1 compression ratio and are fed by programmed fuel injection through short, straight intake ports.
- Interceptor® engine serves as a stressed member of the pivotless frame, which features specially designed engine mounting bolts tuned to work in harmony with the damping characteristics of the frame.
- Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
- Forged aluminum pistons feature LUB-Coat solid lubricant to minimize friction between piston and cylinder wall.
- Auto-enriching system is integrated into PGM-FI module, optimizing the air/fuel mixture on cold starts and eliminating the need for a manual choke.
- Solenoid-operated dual-air-intake-duct design keeps one duct closed during low-speed operation to ensure optimal control of air intake velocity.
- Dual side-mounted radiators maximize cooling efficiency using low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through the radiators. During low-speed operation, a thermostat-controlled left-side fan pulls cooling air across the radiator into the fairing, keeping hot air away from the rider.
- Rugged 125mm-diameter eight-plate clutch offers light weight and high load capacity.
- Exceptionally smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.
- Triple-box-section twin-spar aluminum frame features a tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame and contributes to handling comfort.
- Interceptor's beautiful Pro Arm® single-side cast aluminum swingarm, mounted to the engine, provides an optimal balance of rigidity and tuned flex for superb handling.
- Pro-Link® rear suspension features a 40mm gas-charged HMAS shock with 4.7 inches of travel and adjustable spring preload and rebound damping. (ABS-equipped model has a convenient spring preload adjustment knob.) The Pro-Link arm is anchored directly to a cast aluminum bracket on the rear of the engine case.
- Linked Braking System (LBS) uses a second master cylinder and a proportional control valve (PCV) to couple the three-piston calipers of the dual-front and single-rear brake discs for even better braking feel, while providing the peace of mind of an LBS system. Using the front brake lever activates the outer two pistons of the left-side front caliper, all three pistons of the right-side caliper and the center piston of the rear caliper. Rear pedal engagement activates the two outer pistons of the rear caliper and the center piston in the left-front caliper.
- The Interceptor's 296mm floating front brake discs feature a lightweight seven-spoke inner rotor design.
- U-section cast aluminum wheels are light and reduce unsprung weight.
- The six-spoke, 3.5-inch-wide front wheel carries a 120/70ZR-17 radial tire. The five-spoke, 5.5-inch rear wheel sports a large, low-profile 180/55ZR-17 radial tire.
- The Interceptor's sleek, aerodynamic bodywork is functional as well as beautiful.
- Air flowing through a central air vent under the front windshield provides cool air to the rider at low speeds and increases rider comfort at higher speeds.
- A second model is available with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) for even better braking control.
- High-tech instrument display includes electronic tachometer, LCD readouts for speedometer, air temperature, coolant temperature, odometer, two tripmeters, and clock.
- ACG output of 463 watts.
- Detachable seat offers access to space to carry U-lock and other necessities. (Lock not included.)
- Removable passenger seat cowl.
- Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
- Injection-molded nylon passenger grabrails are comfortable to the touch in cold or hot weather.
- Folding aerodynamic mirrors.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year complimentary subscription to Honda Red Rider™ magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com), access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.
- Touring Accessories: Color-matched Hard Saddlebags, Sport Touring Trunk, Saddlebag Liner Set, Trunk Liner.