2005 Honda RC51 Features
9/8/2004 3:57:42 PM
For race-proven performance and championship-caliber quality, no other V-Twin sport bike comes close to Honda's RC51.
Features & Benefits
New for 2005
- Exciting new Black/Metallic Gray color.
- Black painted frame, wheels and swingarm.
- Prodigious power is produced across a broad rpm band, peaking with 133 bhp at 10,000 rpm and 71 lb./ft. of torque at 8000 rpm in street-legal trim.
- Large, 62mm fuel injection throttle bodies inspired by HRC's championship works racers.
- Two fuel injectors for each cylinder feature 12 laser-drilled jet holes in each injector tip for finer fuel atomization, resulting in more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
- Twin side-mounted radiators each have electric cooling fans to improve engine cooling.
- HRC®-designed press-forged aluminum swingarm.
- HRC-designed integrated rear shock reservoir is positioned for easy fitment of center-up high-performance competition exhaust.
- Five-spoke wheels feature aerodynamic forward-facing V-shaped spokes and Dunlop D208 tires.
- Windscreen shape is derived from Colin Edwards' World Superbike Championship HRC racer.
- Large underseat tool tray.
- 999cc DOHC eight-valve 90o V-twin engine is specially designed to withstand the rigors of Superbike competition.
- Centrally mounted ram-air intake duct routes cool, pressurized air directly through the frame's steering head structure to the 9.0-liter airbox, improving intake efficiency while slimming the aerodynamic profile. The ram-air duct doubles as a front cowl stay, shaving 12 ounces off of a conventional mounting system.
- Each cylinder head features large, 40mm intake and 34mm exhaust valves with a 24 degree included valve angle. This provides a short, direct path for the air/fuel charge entering the combustion chamber and results in high power output.
- Gear-driven camshafts utilize three-axis drive gears to maintain accurate valve timing and durability at sustained high engine speeds.
- Direct shim-under-bucket valve actuation system ensures high-rpm durability, and allows 16,000-mile valve maintenance intervals.
- Cast aluminum pistons are screen-printed with solid LUB-Coat finish to minimize friction between the piston and cylinder wall.
- Aluminum composite cylinder sleeves are high-pressure-formed from sintered aluminum powder impregnated with ceramic and graphite. The lightweight composite sleeves provide better wear resistance and superior heat dissipation compared to conventional sleeves.
- Nutless connecting rods feature bolts threaded directly into tapped holes in rods.
- Design is lighter than conventional bolt-and-nut combination. Carburized rods provide strength and durability under high loads.
- Crankshaft center lubrication system carries oil to main and connecting rod bearings through passages in the crankshaft as well as conventional journals, allowing lower main-gallery oil pressure and a smaller oil pump design, consuming less horsepower at high engine speeds.
- Iridium-tip spark plugs require less voltage and maintain ignition performance in demanding conditions.
- At operating speed, side-mounted dual radiators utilize low pressure of airflow passing over outer surface of cowling to draw air through from the inside. Side positioning allows optimal placement of engine for a low center of gravity and superb handling and permits flow of air to reach cylinders and exhaust pipes for enhanced cooling efficiency.
- Air-cooled aluminum oil cooler.
- Magnesium head cover, clutch cover and left-rear sprocket cover.
- All-stainless two-into-one-into-two exhaust system with two 5.3-liter canister-style mufflers with a buffed finish.
- Seven-plate clutch design is compact and tough, featuring durable friction plate material.
- Smooth-shifting close-ratio six-speed transmission features ratios carefully matched to the engine's powerband.
- Twin-spar extruded aluminum frame features a modified Pro Frame® design utilizing a swingarm pivot that incorporates both engine-crankcase- and frame-mounted pivot points. The frame sideplates extend underneath the swingarm and join to form a D-shape swingarm mounting enclosure. This combination provides an extremely rigid chassis while offering excellent road feel.
- Tapered and braced box-section swingarm provides exceptional lateral and torsional rigidity.
- 43mm inverted aluminum-slider Honda Multi-Action System™ (HMAS™) cartridge fork with 5.1 inches of travel features spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability, and offers precise action and superb rigidity.
- Pro-Link® rear suspension features 4.7 inches of travel and a high-quality 40mm HMAS shock with integrally cast damper reservoir. Spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability produces superior rear wheel control.
- Braking system features 320mm front discs floating on seven stainless steel
pins with four-piston calipers, and a 220mm rear disc with a single-piston
caliper for exceptional stopping power.
- Distinctive bodywork features a dual-headlight design with a centrally located ram-air duct, a narrow-profile fuel tank and a single-piece tail section.
- Unique bank-angle sensor shuts off fuel supply to PGM-FI system if the motorcycle tips over, but is unaffected by bumps and vibration during normal operation.
- High-output, 335-watt AC generator.
- Dual headlights feature asymmetric low/high beam operation; computer-designed multi-reflectors and two 55W H7 bulbs behind clear plastic lenses provide a broad lighting pattern and superb illumination.
- Lightweight instrument display includes electronic LCD tachometer and speedometer, fuel indicator, odometer, tripmeter and temperature gauge.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year complimentary subscription to Honda Red Rider™ magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com), access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.
- Tank Pad.
- Magnetic Tank Bag (Black).