2006 Honda CR250R Features & Benefits
6/1/2005 8:22:39 AM
When Jeremy McGrath came out of retirement, it's no wonder he chose to ride the CR250R; no other machine has won more Supercross and motocross championships than the CR250R.
- Cylinder design features RC exhaust valve housed in removable
case for optimum sealing and performance.
- Precision-cut stainless steel cylinder base gasket and revised port timing for awesome bottom-end and mid-range power.
- Cylinder head combustion chamber shape for excellent bottom-end and mid-range power.
- One-piece exhaust valve for optimum sealing.
- Piston dome shape for improved intake charge flow.
- Piston features single keystone piston ring for low friction and best sealing.
- Crankshaft design for improved drivability.
- Crankcase with intake port designed for smoother air flow and increased journal thickness to decrease crank deflection.
- Reed valve mounting angle to maximize charge flow and top-end power.
- Shift fork shaft, shift forks and shift drum for improved shifting performance.
- ECU mapping and RC valve control settings to match engine power characteristics.
- Exhaust pipe shape maximizes volume for optimum low- to mid-range power.
- 28mm radiator core for optimum cooling capacity to handle extra power.
- Liquid-cooled two-stroke single-cylinder engine with 66.4mm x 72mm bore and stroke and 8.5:1 compression ratio.
- Air intake boot is shaped for direct air flow, contributing to strong low-speed engine
- Foam gasket between airbox and air boot for better sealing and air flow management.
- Lightweight 38mm flat-slide Mikuni TMX carburetor provides both initial throttle crispness and instant throttle response to complement the engine's power character. Carburetor has throttle position sensor (TPS) to calibrate timing with exhaust valve for improved power delivery.
- Crankcase reed induction with carbon-fiber six-petal reed valve contributes to excellent off-idle throttle response and top-end and over-rev power delivery.
- RC-style exhaust valve features an NSR road racing-inspired rotary flap design with electronic control. The electronic control module uses engine rpm and throttle (TPS) opening to calculate exhaust valve position and signal a DC servo motor to adjust the RC valve, providing both a smooth transition from low- to mid-range rpm and a broader torque curve.
- Exhaust header and expansion chamber are designed to maximize top-end power delivery.
- A 16-bit CPU incorporates both the DC capacitive discharge ignition and exhaust valve servo control, producing immediate data calculation and extremely accurate ignition and exhaust valve timing for maximum performance.
- Dual radiators permit forward engine placement and provide significant cooling capacity.
- Steel water-pump gear for excellent reliability.
- Eight clutch plates provide significant surface area to handle the engine's torque while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
- Clutch damper design improves rear suspension feel and action while accelerating over bumps.
- Lightweight magnesium clutch cover.
- Durable five-speed close-ratio transmission offers consistent performance in demanding conditions.
- Primary kickstarting system allows starting in any gear.
- Revised suspension settings deliver more controlled suspension
action along with a plusher ride.
- Third-generation twin-spar aluminum frame delivers superior rider comfort and maneuverability.
- Semi-double-cradle design features a single large-diameter, tapered downtube. Two rugged box-section rails attach to the base of the downtube and support the engine. A forged aluminum steering head provides a compact and extremely durable mount for the frame spars and engine downtube.
- Swingarm features a dual-axis, double-taper design with a large cast-aluminum cross member that is lighter weight and stronger.
- Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples to help reduce unsprung weight.
- Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for additional rigidity.
- Optional 20-inch front wheel improves cornering traction and rider comfort.
- Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide significant rigidity to withstand torturous track conditions.
- Lightweight 47mm inverted Showa twin-chamber cartridge fork with aluminum rods features 12.4 inches of travel, 16-position rebound damping adjustability and 16-position compression damping adjustability. The inner surface of the front fork outer-tubes receives the same honing treatment as works bikes for low-friction operation.
- Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension features a fully adjustable Showa rear damper and 12.6 inches of wheel travel, separate low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns) compression damping adjusters, and 17-position rebound damping.
- Rear shock's damper piston diameter is 50mm for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
- Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc reduce unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
- HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the rear master cylinder reservoir and hose.
- Large 240mm front and rear brake rotors provide optimum braking control.
- Aluminum Renthal 971 bend handlebar.
- Carefully developed ergonomics position the rider's legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame for improved comfort while maintaining excellent handling feel.
- Brake pedal and shift lever are designed to complement the riding position.
- Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.
- Seat cushion follows the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort.
- "Non-slip" seat cover for increased rider control.
- Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are improved for self-cleaning and corrosion resistance, and provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
- Cleated rear brake pedal, shift lever and folding shift lever tip are made of lightweight aluminum.
- Adjustable front brake lever for maximum control.
- Quick-adjust clutch perch.
- Dunlop D742 front and D756 rear tires for optimum traction and cornering.
- CR® handlebar holders provide three different mounting positions: standard CR250R holder provides neutral position and optional holder (CRF®450R/CR125R/ CRF250R-type) provides +/-3mm fore or aft position to match rider preference.
- Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
- Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
- Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
- Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
- Repackable silencer for maximum performance and minimal noise.
- Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
- Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership for an individual in the Honda Rider's Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance, one year of Honda Red Rider™ magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com) and access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.