Effective December 14, 2023
This California Privacy Notice provides limited information to California residents only about how American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (“American Honda”) collects, uses, and discloses Personal Information through our website(s), microsite(s), mobile website(s), and mobile applications (collectively, “Sites”) or through any other means, including offline activities (collectively, “Services”). For more details about our privacy practices, see our general Privacy Notice.
PRIVACY NOTICE CHANGES
This notice is subject to change; therefore, we encourage you to review it frequently for any revisions or amendments. Any changes we make are effective immediately and you accept the changes by continuing to use our Sites or Services. If we determine that a change to this notice will result in using your Personal Information acquired before the change in a materially new way, we will obtain your consent before using your Personal Information in the new way.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- Identifiers such as name, social security number, driver’s license number, other government identification number, IP address, social media username or handle, student identification information, and contact information such as mailing address, garaging address, email addresses, phone numbers, and fax numbers;
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law such as age, gender, race, ethnicity, and religion;
- Demographic information such as marital status, the number and ages of children, and what language(s) you speak;
- Commercial information such as vehicle or product characteristics, vehicle identification numbers, license plate numbers, vehicle registrations, model names and numbers, serial numbers, product interest and purchase history, vehicle service history, product financing information, device troubleshooting history, data about your vehicle or product’s operation and your use of connected vehicle services and technologies (as further outlined in our Vehicle Data Privacy Notice); and financial information such as payment card information;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information such as browsing/search history, your interactions with our emails, and data collected by cookies and similar technologies;
- Geolocation data such as precise and non-precise geographic location indicators from mobile, web, and vehicle (or product);
- Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information such as call recordings, chat transcripts, testimonials, and pictures or videos you upload to or send through the Sites;
- Professional or employment-related information such as employer information, income, and occupation;
- Education information such as education level; and
- Inferences drawn from other Personal Information or data that relate to your preferences, interests, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Some of the Personal Information listed above is considered Sensitive Personal Information under California law such as social security number, driver’s license and other government identification card information, race, ethnicity, religion, precise geolocation data, and your American Honda account login credentials. Each type of Sensitive Personal Information may overlap with a category of Personal Information listed above. Additionally, some of the Personal Information listed above may be considered “personal information” as defined in Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e).
The types of Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information we collect about you will vary based on how you use the Sites and/or Services and your relationship with us.
HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE INFORMATION
We use Personal Information and Sensitive Personal Information for business purposes, such as to:
- Provide you with access to and use of our Sites and Services;
- Facilitate or fulfill the information, products, or services you requested;
- Communicate with you about your products, services, or account;
- Market our products to you, including interest-based advertising;
- Market other companies’ products or services to you;
- Operate information security and anti-fraud programs;
- Perform business operations, including the improvement of our products, Sites, and Services; conduct surveys, research, and data analytics; and other normal business activities;
- Facilitate the relationship you have with your independent Honda or Acura dealer;
- Respond to governmental and other legal requests or to comply with applicable laws;
- Communicate with you about your vehicle warranty, safety, and recall information;
- With your consent, to assist law enforcement with locating a stolen or missing vehicle (as further outlined in our Vehicle Data Privacy Notice); and
- As described to you at the point of collection, with your consent, or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable laws.
Third-Party Sales and Sharing
We may sell or share (for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes) Identifiers, Commercial information, Precise geolocation data, and Internet and other electronic network activity information to third parties who are not our service providers. We may also disclose Personal Information in situations that do not qualify as a sale or sharing scenario.
For more details on how we use and disclose Personal Information, see our Privacy Notice.
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR DATA
We retain each category of Personal Information for as long as we have a relationship with you. We may also retain each category of Personal Information for a period of time after our relationship ends due to ongoing business needs to retain it. Relevant factors impacting our retention periods include the business purposes for which we collected the information, our legal, regulatory, tax, and/or accounting obligations, and applicable statutes of limitations for claims to which the information may be relevant. We review our retention policies on an annual basis and routinely purge information no longer needed for business or legal purposes.
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER RIGHTS
If you are a resident of California, you may have additional privacy rights, including the right to opt-out of sales and sharing (for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes). See our Privacy Center for more details.